Deadline: August 25, 2022
The call for Investigative Journalism Mentors from the Voluntary Media Council of Zimbabwe (VMCZ) is now open. The VMCZ will launch an investigative journalism fund to help Zimbabwean journalists conduct investigations into accountability (i.e. illicit financial flows, budget processes (from planning to implementation), procurement processes, histories of corruption and/or maladministration).
Media houses and individual journalists will apply for funding to conduct the investigations. VMCZ is therefore inviting applications from Investigative Journalism Mentors who will be responsible for receiving pitches and mentoring journalists on the program.
The Investigative Journalism Mentors will be responsible for judging the investigative journalism proposals received and will also serve as advisors to journalists who will participate in this initiative. Each mentor will liaise with award-winning journalists and coordinate, mentor and advise on the progress of investigations.
- Provide advice and support to investigative journalists within the framework of the project;
- Maintain communication and offer advice to the awarded journalist until the publication of the investigative report;
- Respond in a timely manner to requests from mentees for advice and guidance on investigations and how to address challenges;
- Participate in coordination meetings with the VMCZ;
- Create a personal action plan with mentees and develop a schedule of activities;
- Transmit their knowledge and experience to mentees in order to help them develop strategies and skills for investigative journalism;
- Encourage participants to have an ongoing commitment to the goals and objectives of investigative journalism;
- Provide feedback to the VMCZ on the mentee process and activities.
- VMCZ is looking for experienced journalists, who will engage in the mentorship program. They are looking for: Senior and veteran journalists with 10+ years of experience in investigative journalism and reporting on accountability issues;
- Journalists with a proven track record/award(s) in investigative journalism;
- Journalists experienced in different media;
- Availability to mentor journalists for six months, with likely face-to-face meetings scheduled;
- Demonstrated experience in training and mentoring journalists.
Submit applications containing a CV and motivation explaining why you qualify for this mentoring position for [email protected] and copy [email protected]
For more information, visit VMCZ Call for mentors.